Sunday 27 January 2008

How to eat

Got up at 4.30am yesterday to get down to London for a course about how to eat. This may sound a bit nuts but for those people who binge eat, go on constant diets or have other symptoms of a crazy relationship with food, then you may understand the idea. We all know what we "should" be eating, what is "good" for us or "bad" for us, but many of us don't know why we eat the way we do and how to eat if we're not abusing ourselves or following a diet. The course I went on was an attempt to address that.

I won't go into too much detail until I can put some of it into practice but it was affordable and very well presented. A lot of care was taken and I felt good because of it. And the food was great! I was given a book that goes with the course and access to their website which has lots of extra information in the form of worksheets and MP3s to download plus a forum.

I didn't make friends on the day. I've given up on all of that and I just got bored talking about food during the breaks and how awful the diet industry is or how bad the media industry is. Water under the bridge. To be honest, I was tired as hell and didn't really perk up until the afternoon and I plain wasn't arsed.

Fucking mad dash back to the train station after the event. I had under 30 mins for a journey that involved two tube trains. God I was fearful cos my ticket had to be used on a specific journey. If I missed it, I'd have to pay out for a new ticket which would cost nearly £40, twice the cost of my original return ticket. I won't bore myself with the details, but a station closure meant having to risk getting off at Warren Street and walking to Euston, as fast as my fat thighs could carry me. I made it with 2 mins to spare, praying to God part of the way and then changing that to, "Well, I'm just going to have to pay out for another ticket if I miss it. There's no point in getting hysterical over it." Admittedly, I only had myself to blame for the situation. I had plumped for that train because I didn't want to get back too late and miss the last local train home which would force me to sample the delights of a night bus or the expense of a taxi if I couldn't face the drunken louts. Thankfully, I was spared both.

No comments: