Wednesday 16 January 2008

Boiler Saga

British Gas
Bloke came round to give me a quote on replacing the boiler. What a salesman. I'm for honest and open communication, but I didn't get that from him. He told me that to replace the boiler and water tank would cost £5k. To get a whole new system with combi boiler, new radiators and pipework throughout would cost £5k. Hogwash, to put it politely. I didn't want to hurt his feelings or appear rude, so I asked a lot of questions and tried to appear like I was going along with it. He only offered one choice of boiler - a Worcester Bosch and then didn't offer the five year warranty that I know they are doing, but giving him the benefit of the doubt, he may not realise it's on offer. British Gas is clearly for richer people than moi. I feel sorry for him that he has to do this for a living.

The quotes for a new combi boiler upstairs has been £2,400 (cash) - £2,600 cheque. One guy would turn up with a team of 4 and take a day maybe day and a half. Another would fit it over a weekend and the last 2 1/2 days - he was the cockiest - not in a bad way. The 1 day fitter was very softly spoken, quoted from top of his head and didn't really stop long enough to describe what he'd be doing. Lovely bloke though. The weekend guy was my favourite. I warmed to him on a personal basis and he was open, honest, non judgemental, informative and gave me options. Plus lovely tousled hair. OK, OK, basing choice on a haircut is not a good idea and he's yet to drop the quote by, so who knows how its going to end.

No comments: