Saturday 12 January 2008

Bad hairdresser


Going out to a posh restaurant this evening with a friend of mine. Normally I favour comfort over fashion. Don't believe in pain, unless it's fun. But with my life getting better and me liking myself a bit more, I went shopping. I'll cover that in another post. Today, I went to get my very curly hair, cut and blow dried straight. The young hairdresser was a sweet girl but inexperienced. It was her first day at the salon and she was unfamiliar with the water temperature controls. Half way through having my hair washed the water became boiling hot. My head shot up and I cried out. She clearly had no idea that she needed to douse my scalp with cold water and I had to tell her what to do. She didn't seem to hear me when I said she'd scalded me. It was a mistake and I told her I understood that. On to the blow dry.


The poor cow didn't have a clue. I thought at first it was just a different technique and that she was going to go through the process twice, but when she was clearly at an end, my hair looked so frizzy, I said that there was no way that I was leaving the salon looking like that. I said, "You've not done black hair before have you?"

"No."

To her credit she got the manager and another stylist and I had to go through the whole fucking process again.


I wanted to reach out to her and say something comforting, but what? I couldn't find the words and she wasn't visibly upset, but I guess it was a humiliating experience. My only consolation was that I didn't make a huge fuss over either incident. As long as she learns from it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)